Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Delectable Breakfast

Alright, I can't take full credit for this guy...it's a Giada De Laurentiis recipe!  However, I took some different twists and turns to make it my own.  Here's a peek:

This thing was SO good..it is an absolute MUST try.  Here we go:

I used a spring form pan for this one. (Giada uses a tart pan.  I would imagine any sort of pie pan could work)

I got Pilsbury Cresent roll dough made with NO LINES.  The no line thing makes life real easy.
Roll out your dough and stick it into your buttered/floured pan. Prick the dough with a fork... this will let the air kind of escape.  Next, Giada says brush the crust with an egg white.  This gives the crust that golden brown color and keeps our egg custard from seeping later.
Stick it in your 350 degree oven for about 18 minutes (just following package directions so far...easy peasy)

Heres the rest of your ingredients:
  • 5 eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup (4 ounces) mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss (Giada uses Gruyere...but that stuff is EXPENSIVE! Maybe after I've made a small fortune, I, too, will be able to use fancy cheese)
  • 3 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 turkey sausage links (Giada uses panchetta...I am not a red meat eater so I opted for turkey sausage)
  • 6 spears of asparagus

  • Cut up the green onion and the asparagus into bite sized pieces and toss in a big bowl with the eggs, mascarpone (DO NOT skip the mascarpone! this is what makes this dish soo creamy!), bag of shredded Swiss, salt and pepper.

    I used 2 Johnsonville turkey cheddar dogs in this one.  I fried 'em up in the pan beforehand just to get them crispy.  Toss the cut up pieces of  'dog into the egg mixture.

    This is all going to fill in the crust that should be out of the oven by now.

    Next is where my frustration kicked in.  Giada's recipe says to crank the oven to 400 degrees and in about 18 minutes, it's done set and done.  Mine was in for about 30 minutes.  The middle just would NOT stop jiggling! I didn't want anything to dry out...so after 20-30 minutes, I pulled it out of the oven.  I let it sit for a good 10 minutes before cutting into it.  It was a liiiiittle runny, but still scrom.  The next day it was even better.

    This is another one that can be SO versatile.  You can use whatever meat, cheese, veggies you can dream up.  I liked this mixture and plan on making it again real soon.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment